[extropy-chat] SPACE: Back to the Moon (?)

JAY DUGGER duggerj1 at charter.net
Thu Oct 30 22:48:06 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:26:56 +0100
  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:46:41AM -0500, JAY DUGGER
>wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if reuse could happen so easily. Lunar
>> gravity shouldn't pose a problem, but what about
>>radiation
>
>1/6 g should do okay for pretty long stays. It may
>require a heavy exercise
>schedule.

I thought only of the structures, not of their crews.

>> exposure during transit and then on Luna? Burying the
>
>Two days transit. No problem, unless you run into a major
>solar storm with no
>shielding.

Do the ISS modules offer as much radiation protection as
the Apollo CM and LM?

>> modules in the regolith once they arrive seems the
>>easiest
>
>Right. Not that short stays will need any more shielding
>than the landing
>module provides.
>
>> way to shield them, but how much regolith do you need
>>and
>> can the modules take it over the long term? Remember
>>once
>
>How much regolith do you need to emulate the shielding
>Earth's atmosphere
>provides? 1 m, maybe two.
>
>> you bury them,  repairing the modules gets harder. How
>>do
>
>Hello? You seem to think we're doing lunar mining here?

No, I don't. I do find hard it to imagine how to patch a
hole on both sides when one side has regolith over to the
depth of 1-2 m.

>If you're deep, a leak is no problem: material shields.

Does regolith provide a good seal against gases leaking at
cabin pressure? I expect that depends on how hard you
could pack the stuff, or how you treat it. Could you use
some sort of superglue or a plastic?

>Patching from the
>inside as well: polymerizable monomer in situ. Leaks will
>happen (everything
>we sent up to LEO has been leaking like a sieve) but
>there
>are enough volatiles to replenish the losses on Luna.

In the long run, sure. That seems unlikely for the kind of
semi-permanent station suggested. One could grow crops in
an indoor garden at McMurdo, but I bet that doesn't happen
any more than buildings there get their construction
materials from local mines.

Jay Dugger     :     Til Eulenspiegel
http://www.owlmirror.net/~duggerj
Sometimes delete serves best.