[extropy-chat] FWD (forteana) Postmodern essay generator---[was Re: David Ray]

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 2 14:47:51 UTC 2004

--- In forteana at yahoogroups.com, "T. Peter Park" <tpeterpark at e...> wrote:
> Friends, Forteans, philosophers!
> New York University physicist Alan Sokal's 1996 _Social Text_ article
> spoofing trendy postmodern verbiage was "Transgressing the Boundaries:
> Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravitation."

Sokal's webpage at <http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal/> has the
original text and links to tons of debates, articles and commentaries
on it.

And since we seem to be having an intellectual purge at the moment,
could T. Peter and others *please* try and remember to trim the posts
they're replying to? Not least because reading 3 sets of Yahoo adverts
gets very boring very quickly. Cheers.

Rachel

-------------------------

Although just as "Ern Malley" produced some lovely poetry, I'm not entirely
convinced that Sokal's paper is as incomprehensible as he appears to
believe...

Joe McNally

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program