[extropy-chat] Gun control yet again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 19:40:18 UTC 2004

At 11:35 AM 4/2/2004 -0600, I wrote:

< NH in 2000 had a population of 1 235 786 and 22 people were murdered. My
home state of Victoria had a population of 4 765 900, 3.85 times larger.
The number murdered seems to have been about 60, rather than the pro rata
NH rate of 85. >

According to
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/ABS@.nsf/0/76c8926bd8a12e1fca2568a9001393f2?OpenDocument

in 2002, the number actually rose as high as... 70!!!

14 murders per million population, according to the above table.

cf 17.8 per million for NH (if adding up on my fingers has given me the
right numbers).

Of course, these numbers are strictly incommensurable, since the state of
Victoria contains the city of Melbourne, which seethes with ethnic
tensions; perhaps NH is a little more homogenous and peaceful, I couldn't say.

Damien Broderick