[extropy-chat] left behind again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 21:37:42 UTC 2004

The global disappearance of Christians earlier this week attributed to the
"rapture" predicted by premillennial theologians, and the corresponding
disappearance of Left Behind books from bestseller lists have left authors
Tim LaHaye, Jerry B. Jenkins, and their publishers discouraged and
soul-searching. They're also disappointed that they were not among the
airplane pilots, school bus drivers, or toll booth operators taken up to
heaven in the wink of an eye, leaving behind piles of empty clothing as
well as chaos, terror, and inconvenience, respectively.

When asked why the rapture hurt sales of a series that would seem more
timely than ever, Jenkins commented, "Apparently the folks who've actually
been left behind aren't interested in reading about it. And I can see why -
it's a real kick in the teeth for me personally. This goes way beyond
bitter irony."

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=sojomail.display&issue=040401#7