[extropy-chat] rfid again again

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat Apr 10 21:00:45 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

>Recall I am one of those silly wackos with zeeerooo
>concern about loss of privacy.  No wait, that is an under-
>statement, I *want* to lose privacy.  I want to register
>with the local merchant, place RFID in my clothing,
>have their computer detect my entrance, make an
>educated guess as to what I want based on my purchasing
>pattern, have their computer screen greet me and tell me about
>any sales on those and related items and which isle to find
>the stuff thats on sale.  I want them to share that info
>with other stores of the same chain too, in fact that is
>where it would be most useful: I already know where the
>stuff is in my own Orchard Supply Hardware and Fry's
>Electronics.  I want them to send my purchase history
>info over to the OSH and Fry's in Palo Alto, Sunnyvale
>and Santa Clara.  If I accidentally pick up some DVD+
>disks, I want a note to come up at the cash register:
>"SPIKE! You have DVD MINUS!  These wont work..."
>
>If anyone ever steals my credit card and tries to use
>it, I want a flag to go up at the register:
>"Cashier, the owner of this credit card always has three or
>four RFIDs on his person.  We detect none on this customer.
>Is he naked?  If not, is he six feet tall, blonde,
>125 pounds?  If not, it's bogus or stolen card.
>Call security immediately..."

This scenario would make more sense to me if I had control of the
data. I could say to Fry's "you are free to collect this data: send it
to my repository." I would also say to Fry's" You are free to access my
repository." Fry's could agree, or not. Fry's (and any other party with
whom I
have an agreement) could add signed (but not encrypted) entries into my
repository. Note my repository is resident where I say it is, not where
Fry's,
or the government, or anybody else says it is.