[extropy-chat] MARS: Because it is hard

Emlyn ORegan Emlyn.Oregan at micromet.com.au
Tue Apr 13 04:27:56 UTC 2004

Good compression strategies seem achievable. You should be able to find,
for instance, recurring large atomic arrangements which can be described
once, then referred to in place wherever they occur. Defining a relative
positioning scheme (each atom's x,y,z coordinate fixed in relation to
the previous atom, as defined by some algorithm) should do away with all
those x,y,z's . However, anything like this is going to be lossy. If you
want absolute fidelity, you'll need to turn Jupiter into computronium in
order to encode Mars, and then where do you put the info for Jupiter?

Emlyn