[extropy-chat] MARS: Because it is hard

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 13 18:46:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:22:19PM -0700, Spike wrote:

> I came to his same conclusion before Zubrin's book
> was published.  Not much payoff in going to Luna.

If you're not going to stay, no. If you're going to stay, you'll get Mars for
free. As well as the rest of the solar system, and most of the visible
universe. But no need to repeat myself.

> Possibly worthwhile to park some stuff on Phobos or
> Deimos, equipment for communications

You never *land* InterplaNet nodes. You hold them in high enough orbit that
occlusion is minimal.

> But don't take my word for it: do the math.  Find
> out how much it costs per kg to soft-land on Mars,
> then you tell me how many are going and what kind
> of people they will be.  spike

Machines? That was too easy.