[extropy-chat] MARS: Because it is hard

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 15 08:32:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:40:40PM -0400, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
> Thanks, Alan. OK, we'll make it 150 Km. in a vacuum and
> ignoring the cost of land, the extra length is no big deal. We

How much is a km^2 of lunar surface worth now? Ignoring ineffectual treaties,
and scamsters, effectively zero. One of the first worthwhile projects of the
accelerator is to seed LLO with a cloud of active photovoltaics modules,
capable of beaming microwave power in any direction, whether down to Luna (to
power these linear motor launchers), to Earth, and into space (to propel
probes).

> can use the same linear induction technology for launch and
> landing orbits and for local transportation.

Assuming, we want to transport stuff across lunar surface, maglev is one way
to do it -- the lowest ELLO is Luna surface.