[extropy-chat] MARS: Because it is hard

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Thu Apr 15 23:26:12 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>

>>Projects to kill:
>>    Advanced weapons procurement (some R&D is okay: procurement is a
>>    total waste.)
>>

>Agreed. Normal weapons (and time) have shown that we can even get someone
>like Saddam.  Osama is harder but one can presume his days are numbered.

I don't think a new class of aircraft carrier, nuclear submarine, tank,
or fighter plane
is going to help against Ossama Bin Laden.  These systems require 10 or
more years
to develop.

>>    Plasma and inertial fusion
>>

>Here I have questions.  There is a significant "research" part to these
>efforts.  I'm not sure that the "R" aspect will not lead to something
>that is not useful.

Payback in 15 year or less? No. Put the money into computer and
nanotech. Then use nanotech to do fusion correctly. (And yes, nanotech
is very, very relevant to fusion.)

>>    manned spaceflight
>>

>Agreed.  Unless this is directed to a long term distribution of
>humanity around the solar system so it forms a distributed intelligence
>(something I discussed at Extro III) it may be relatively useless.

SI and nanotech will yield this as a result before a "traditional
program could bear fruit.

>>    large-scale alternative energy.
>>

>This part I am not clear about.  Alternative energy such
>as wind power seems to be working.  Biomass conversion
>would also seem to be functional.  I would be interested
>in what specific aspects of alternative energy sources
>you find unworkable.

Oil shale, oil sands, tidal, large-scale solar, beamed power, new
nuclear designs. None of these has a 15-year payback. replicating or
refining an existing design may or may not.