[extropy-chat] SI morality

Paul Bridger paul.bridger at paradise.net.nz
Fri Apr 16 23:58:56 UTC 2004

Paul carbone wrote:

> While it appears thus far that being rational in thought and deed is
> effective and important, is it really rational to attempt to be
> completely rational?

I don't understand how attempting to be "completely rational" could be
anything other than a rational choice. Rationality is self-affirming -
if your core value is rationality (as opposed to faith) then clearly
being completely rational is better than being incompletely rational. Of
course, most humans don't want to be rational, because part of their
arbitrariness is to value their arbitrariness.
Being arbitrary and being rational are two internally consistent states.