[extropy-chat] Re: (my rationalism screed, Amara's answer) plus Drexler

Chris Phoenix cphoenix at CRNano.org
Sat Apr 24 20:50:27 UTC 2004

Amara Graps wrote:
 >Chris Phoenix <cphoenix at CRNano.org>:
>>They
>>attack the credentials of the observer.  They change the subject.  They
>>build strawman attacks, and frequently even appear to convince
>>themselves.  They form cliques.  They tell their students not to even
>>read the claims, and certainly not to investigate them.
>
> to be fair, I don't think that this is the norm. Yes, it happens,
> but it is not the common way that scientists (that I know, anyway)
> think about and solve problems.

I don't think it's the way scientists solve problems.  I think it's the
way scientists treat problems that they wish would go away.  Sometimes,
when dealing with "creation scientists" and similar trolls, it's the
only thing you can do.  But scientists do it to other scientists with
equal facility.  Every tactic I listed is being used against molecular
manufacturing.  Most if not all of them were used against Semmelweis,
the futile discoverer of the cause of childbed fever.

Now, I must admit to some uncertainty.  Earlier today, I wrote that
scientists should not make pronouncements about the real world unless
engineering has been done to verify the theory.  I realized as I was
writing it that this is an accusation often leveled against Drexler:
that he declares that nanorobots will work without ever having built
one.  The obvious response is that Drexler is doing engineering, not
science.  But then, how can we expect scientists to give scientific
answers to a non-scientific process?

<...and then I open Nanosystems, searching for a dimly-remembered
phrase, and find that Drexler wrote about this in detail twelve years
ago...>

Ahem.  In Appendix A of Nanosystems, Drexler describes an activity
called "theoretical applied science" or "exploratory engineering."  This
is exactly what I was trying to get at as a bridge between science and
engineering.  In theoretical applied science, one takes the best
available results of science, and applies them to real-world problems,
and makes plans that should hopefully work as desired.  Section A.3.1,
"Science and engineering," describes how "Science and engineering differ
in their goals.  Science strives to understand how things work;
engineering strives to make things work.  Science takes an object as
given and studies its behavior; engineering takes a behavior as given
and studies how to make an object that will exhibit that behavior."

The bulk of Appendix A discusses ways that theoretical applied science
can be practiced so as to give useful and reliable results, despite the
inability to confirm its results by experiment.  "For example, all
classes of device that would violate the second law of thermodynamics
can immediately be rejected.  A more stringent rule, adopted in the
present work, rejects propositions if they are inadequately
substantiated, for example, rejecting all devices that would require
materials stronger than those known or described by accepted physical
models.  By adopting these rules for falsification and rejection, work
in theoretical applied science can be grounded in our best scientific
understanding of the physical world."

Drexler presents theoretical applied science as a way of studying things
we can't build yet.  In A.7 Conclusions, he ascribes to it a very
limited aim: "to describe lower bounds to the performance achievable
with physically possible classes of devices."  And a limited role: "In
an ideal world, theoretical applied science would consume only a tiny
fraction of the effort devoted to pure theoretical science, to
experimentation, or to engineering."  But here, I think, he's being too
modest.  Theoretical applied science is really the only rigorous way for
the products of science to escape back to the real world.  In my

We might draw a useful analogy: scientists are to exploratory engineers
as writers are to editors.  Scientists and writers are creative.
Whatever they produce is interesting, even when it's wrong.  They live
in their own world, which touches the real world exactly where and when
they choose.  And then along come the editors and the exploratory
engineers.  "This doesn't work.  You need to rephrase that.  This part
isn't useful.  And wouldn't it be better to explain it this way?"  It's
no wonder Drexler is hated and feared by the scientists.

Since exploratory engineering is rigorously grounded in science,
scientists can evaluate it.  But only in the sense of checking its
calculations.  MNT workers have spent the last two decades asking
scientists to either criticize or accept their work.  This was half an
error: scientists can show a mistake in an engineering calculation, but
they can't (within the boundaries of science) accept its results.  To
the extent that the results of theoretical applied science are correct
and useful, they are meant for engineers, not for scientists.  An editor
should check her work with the author.  But she should not ask the
author whether he thinks she has improved it; she should judge how well
she did her job by the reader's response, not the writer's.  Likewise,
if scientists cannot show that Drexler has misinterpreted (misapplied)
their work or added something that science didn't say, then the
scientists should shut up and let the engineers decide whether the
theoretical applied work is useful.

Chris

--
Chris Phoenix                                  cphoenix at CRNano.org
Director of Research