[extropy-chat] Freedom House

Matus matus at matus1976.com
Fri Apr 30 16:34:39 UTC 2004

Amara said:

> World Press Freedom Day is coming up... The following web site
> recommended by a colleague contains some interesting reports.
>

> http://www.freedomhouse.org/
> (quote)

This is a great site I have recommended a few times on this list.  It
monitors and reports on not only press freedom but political and
economic freedoms as well, and produces annual reports on the status of
every country in the world.

"Since 1978, Freedom House has published Freedom in the World, an annual
comparative assessment of the state of political rights and civil
liberties in 192 countries and 18 related and disputed territories.
Widely used by policy-makers, journalists, and scholars, the 700-page
survey is the definitive report on freedom around the globe"

See, for instance -

"World's Worst Regimes Unveiled Before UN Commission on Human Rights"
http://www.freedomhouse.org/media/pressrel/040204.htm

- excerpt -
UNITED NATIONS, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND, April 2, 2004 -- Freedom House
today released its annual list of the world's most repressive nations
before the United Nations Commission on Human Rights. Five of the
fifteen countries are members of the UN body, which is charged with
monitoring and condemning human rights violations.

The report, titled "The Worst of the Worst: The World's Most Repressive
Societies, 2004," includes detailed summations of the dire human rights
situations Burma, China, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Laos, Libya,
North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Turkmenistan,
Uzbekistan, and Vietnam. Chechnya, Tibet, and Western Sahara are
included as territories under Russian, Chinese, and Moroccan
jurisdiction respectively.

The report is available online at:
www.freedomhouse.org/research/mrr2004.pdf

The report is excerpted from Freedom House's annual global survey,
Freedom in the World 2004. The countries deemed the most repressive earn
some of the worst numerical ratings according to the survey's
methodology.

Significantly, five of the fifteen most repressive governments -- those
of China, Cuba, Eritrea, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan -- are members of the
Human Rights Commission, representing nearly 10 percent of the 53-member
body.

-end excerpt-

I highly recommend this site and their annual report to anyone
interested in the state and progress of freedom in the world.

Michael Dickey