[extropy-chat] electing ideas [was Re:Fahrenheit 911 - objective review?]

Pat Fallon pfallon at ptd.net
Sat Aug 14 16:17:27 UTC 2004

> > I plan to vote for the Libertarian candidate, Badnarik. Not
> > because of any overly complicated political calculation
> > though.  Badnarik is simply the only one I have heard
> > speak sensibly (and in large agreement with my own views).
> > Of course I don't expect him to win.
>
> If you expect that either Kerry or Bush will win and consequently
> hold the power of the office for four years why wouldn't you
> vote for whichever of those you dislike the least?

Sometimes ideas can get elected even though the candidate expressing them
doesn't.

If a libertarian candidate did well in an election, the major parties might
consider
that there is a politically significant minority with those views...

For example, if Republican candidates keep selling out on "gun rights",
some voters might consider voting for a Libertarian candidate who is
a strong advocate of the right to keep and bear arms.

This might send a message to the Republicans that they shouldn't take
those voters for granted based on the belief that they have no where to go.

Pat Fallon
pfallon at ptd.net