[extropy-chat] and the nano/holo fun goes on...

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 02:39:23 UTC 2004

"I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers"
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home"
Ken Olson, chairman & founder of Digital equipment, 1977

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
as a means of communication. The device is ingerently of no value to
us."
Western Union internal memo, 1876

"640 K ought to be enough for anybody."
Bill Gates, 1981

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
popular mechanics, 1949

(nicked from http://web.inter.nl.net/users/pwilkins/ITquotes.html)

Come on, let's not let our imaginations fail us now.

Pop quiz: What will the consumer computer environment look like when
we have $100 machines with 100GB of memory on board, 100TB of drive
space, and lets say 10mbit/s internet connections as average speed?

Actually, that's not as interesting as asking what it will mean when
everyone has wearables (PDAs+++) with the same capacity as our current
desktops, and, say, 300kbps wireless internet connections that work
everywhere?

(btw, I already have a consumer level device here, on my desk at work,
in Adelaide Australia, which has 300kbps wireless net connection, with
browser etc, that works every, connected to a 3G network. Yeah!)

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *