[extropy-chat] and the nano/holo fun goes on...

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Mon Aug 16 09:49:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Adrian Tymes wrote:

>--- Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I figured out you could do a TB for $1000 a couple
>> of weeks ago... it
>> blows my mind.
>
>Amusing point: just last week, I completed some
>contract programming for a startup (so we're not
>talking billions of dollars), and one of the test
>conditions for this program was making sure it could
>work with multi-yottabyte disk allocations.

Yottabytes? I was told that the dot-com era was over :-) Seriously, a
yottabyte is 10^15 GB (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix for
these funny prefixes). I'm pretty sure it's more than the total harddisk
capacity of the entire planet. Sure this company is *not* just interested
in the next quarterly financial statement, but it's in for the long run.

Alfio