[extropy-chat] electing ideas [wasRe:Fahrenheit911-objectivereview?]

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 14:58:37 UTC 2004

I don't know why it's shocking to realize that the US isn't some massive
force for good in the world.

The US has a main concern: maintaining and increasing its power (re:
hegemony). The US bailed out of Liberia when the USSR fell apart because
Liberia ceased to be important.

That's the same reason why dictators with billions are more likely to get
liberated than penniless dictators.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. There's no mandate that USians are
compassionate folks who want to help the world. In fact, I've seen some
polls that basically given the choice between helping the world or helping
local USians, local charity wins out.

Spider Man's Uncle Ben said "With great power comes great responsibility."
Until America accepts this and begins to act on it, then there will be
terrible things happening in the world that will not be changed by the US.

BAL