[extropy-chat] Re: Why Kerry is -still- a better choice than Bush

Dustin Wish with INDCO Networks dwish at indco.net
Mon Aug 16 18:18:31 UTC 2004

Here is what Bill O'Reilly said about the matter which is a pretty good
point I guess:

Wrong to attack Kerry war record
By Bill O'Reilly

The partisans are running wild over this Swift boat business, talk radio is
crazy with it, and the smell of blood is in the air. John Kerry has made a
major deal of his Vietnam War record, and now his opponents have opened fire
on the senator's experiences.
It's all tawdry and distasteful, of course, but let's examine things
unemotionally.

First off, I believe Jim Rassmann when he says that Kerry saved his life by
pulling him out of a Vietnam river while under fire. Rassmann is a former
Green Beret, a former police officer and a longtime registered Republican
until earlier this year. If he says John Kerry is a hero, nobody should
doubt it. Rassmann has earned the right to be trusted, and insulting his
testimony is way out of line.

But I also believe Steve Gardner, a former Navy gunner who was also present
on one of Kerry's Swift boats. He says the senator wrote up a false report,
neglecting to inform the Navy that Gardner had accidentally shot a
Vietnamese child during a firefight. This is a tough one. Gardner is
implicating himself and has no reason to do so. But perhaps Kerry was
looking out for him by not reporting the incident. Only Kerry knows.

It is very possible to perform heroically on some occasions and do less than
admirable things on others. All human beings are flawed, and we are capable
of both valor and deceit. That's what I think happened here. John Kerry was
brave but he was also calculating. His heroism impressed most of his Swift
boat mates, but his civilian anti-war activities and perceived grandstanding
also alienated many other Vietnam vets. And so the battle lines are drawn.

What should we on the sidelines make of all this? Well, it's a judgment
call. It is absolutely wrong for Americans to condemn Kerry's war record
because he demonstrated provable valor. However, those who distrust him do
deserve to be heard, although facts, not emotion, should be demanded.

I think the Swift boat political advertisement calling Kerry a charlatan is
in poor taste, and if this kind of thing continues, it might well backfire
on the Kerry haters. Most Americans are fair-minded, and bitter personal
attacks do not go down well with folks who are not driven by partisanship.

Remember, Gen. Wesley Clark was knocked out of the presidential sweepstakes
when he would not disown Michael Moore's insane remark that President Bush
was a "deserter." Bush received an honorable discharge from the National
Guard.

Adm. Elmo Zumwalt pinned a medal on John Kerry's chest. The record is the
record unless rock-solid proof refutes it.

The lesson here is that blind partisanship is not an attribute. No person or
candidate is all good or all bad. In America today, with both sides peddling
lies and defamation and spin, it is alarmingly difficult just to get simple
facts on which to base a responsible vote.

Somewhere Jack Webb is weeping.

Originally published on August 16, 2004

Dustin Wish
System Engineer & Programmer
INDCO Networks
Pres. OSSRI
Pres. WTA Arkansas
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead
 where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)