[extropy-chat] Both Sides With John Kerry

Dustin Wish with INDCO Networks dwish at indco.net
Thu Aug 19 13:40:52 UTC 2004

Both Sides With John Kerry

Former Democratic front-runner Howard Dean recently criticized current
Democratic front-runner John Kerry for taking the wrong positions (by Dean's
lights) on both the liberation of Kuwait, which Kerry opposed, and the
liberation of Iraq, which he supported. As we all know, Kerry has tried to
have it both ways on Iraq, voting "yes" on the October 2002 resolution
authorizing war, then proclaiming himself shocked that President Bush
actually waged the war Congress authorized.

It turns out Kerry was no less two-faced about Kuwait 13 years ago. The New
Republic's blogger Noam Scheiber credits TNR intern Josh Benson with digging
up an item that appeared in the magazine's March 25, 1991, issue, quoting a
pair of letters Kerry wrote to constituent Wallace Carter of Newton Centre,
Mass.:

Jan. 22, 1991: "Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition . . .
to the early use of military force by the US against Iraq. I share your
concerns. On January 11, I voted in favor of a resolution that would have
insisted that economic sanctions be given more time to work and against a
resolution giving the president the immediate authority to go to war."

Jan. 31, 1991: "Thank you very much for contacting me to express your
support for the actions of President Bush in response to the Iraqi invasion
of Kuwait. From the outset of the invasion, I have strongly and
unequivocally supported President Bush's response to the crisis and the
policy goals he has established with our military deployment in the Persian
Gulf."

Dustin Wish
System Engineer & Programmer
INDCO Networks
Pres. OSSRI
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead
 where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)