[extropy-chat] recap of Perseids: July 23 - August 22; Peak: August 12

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 24 18:34:04 UTC 2004

Amara wrote:

Natasha:
>Got up at 2:30 a.m. and went outside on the deck to enjoy the showers.
>Unfortunatley I was facing East instead of West, but the sky was overcast
>anyway and only saw 2 little sparks of light when I turned to face the
>right direction.

>My last (serious) starwatching was when I took my Orange Coast College
>borrowed Cave 8 inch, f8 Newtonian reflector to the desert at Joshua
>Tree National Park frequently in ...  ~1979-1980 !

I have five favorites:

1.  On our honeymoon we were skiing in the Big Bear Mountains.  It was
during the time of the comet in the late 1970s.  Fabulous.

2.  At Talaquez Rock east of Los Angeles - we (along with two friends) lay
down on blankets to warch the sky's performance. Fantastic. mid 1970s

3.  In Arizona with Chris and Pam Heward and children.  Chris woke us all
up in the wee hours and we went outside bundles in blankets - (Chris and
the kids were reclining on the large trampoline.)  Delightful. late 1990s

4.  At Mountain High Mountains in California - Went with one of my best
friends who is an astronomer and was the Director of Education at the
Science and Space Museum - we climbed up on large boudlers and drank hot
chocklate.  Amazing. late 1980s

5.  At sea - sailing from Puerto Rico to Brazil - it was so unbelievable -
out in the middle of the ocean - no land in sight - sailing for three
months ...  1970s

Natasha