[extropy-chat] urban sprawl as defense

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sat Aug 28 04:33:02 UTC 2004

On Aug 27, 2004, at 5:49 PM, Brett Paatsch wrote:
> If your going to have 5 permanent security council members I think
> you have to have the US, China and Russia's power and populations
> give then a place, and the last two could be any number of countries
> but the UK and France are as good as any other so far as I can see.

I think one could make a reasonable argument that one of the permanent
European countries should be replaced by Japan, which has a military,
economy, and population that is at least as large or larger than any of
them.  But there is the problem of appearances.

France, for all intents and purposes, has been reduced to a bit player
on the world scene.  They use to have a sizable global footprint with
their intelligence services, covert operations, etc but that has
deteriorated markedly.  The French military has negligible ability to
project force outside their borders.  They have about as much right to
be in the security council as a country like India.  The problem is
that removing them would leave the UK as the only permanent member from
Europe.

France acts as a proxy in the security council for western mainland
Europe, which some would argue is useful, even if the countries they
represent are somewhat impotent.  The UK is the only European country
with substantial military projection capability, but because they align
so closely with the US the mainland Europeans would not be happy with
them as the only European voice in the security council.

Part of the problem is that the "security council" has more to do with
politics than security.  They want equality of voice rather than the
more sensible equitable voice based on their ability to effect and
affect security.  Asia has some heavy weights that are comparable to
western Europe yet they are mostly ignored.

Perhaps a three-tier structure would be more appropriate, with one or
two rotating seats shared by a small number of countries in a middle
tier:

Permanent: US, Russia, UK, maybe China
Rotating: France, Japan, India, maybe China
And then everyone else

I would restrict the permanent positions to those countries that
actually have the ability (and are frequently asked) to do the dirty
work.  Only the US, UK, and Russia have the military infrastructure to
do global force projection, and as a result they are frequently the
only countries to do so on any significant basis when it is mandated
for "security" purposes.  The Rotating countries are geopolitically
very important, but are unable to project power outside of their
continental sphere as a general rule.  Japan is a strange case in that
they are both very potent geopolitically and yet find much of their
influence in the west rather than Asia -- they have few friends in
Asia.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers