Reengineering the UN (was Re: [extropy-chat] urban sprawl as defense)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 17:28:17 UTC 2004

> --- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > >
> > That wouldn't be unreasonable, in theory, I accept that Japan or
> > Germany might be as good or better than France, but there is no way
> > within the UN Charter to remove an encumbent permanent security
> > council member.

Resolution 2758 (XXVI)

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,

Recalling the principles of the Charter of the United Nations,

Considering the restoration of the lawful rights of the People's
Republic of China is essential both for the protection of the Charter
of the United Nations and for the cause that the United Nations must
serve under the Charter.

Recognizing that the representatives of the Government of the People's
Republic of China are the only lawful representatives of China to the
United Nations and that the People's Republic of China  is one of the
five permanent members of the Security Council,

Decides to restore all its rights to the People's Republic of China and
to recognize the representatives of its Government as the only
legitimate representatives of China to the United Nations, and to expel
forthwith the representatives of Chiang Kai-shek from the place which
they unlawfully occupy at the United Nations and in all the
organizations related to it.

1967th plenary meeting
end quote

This clearly shows that the General Assembly voted to remove the
Republic of China government (which they disengenuously referred to as
"the representatives of Chiang Kai-shek") in favor of the People's
Republic of China government as the legitimate representative of the
people of China, even though the UN Charter does not name "China" as
having a seat in the Security Council, but specifically the "Republic
of China", which is a government, not a people.

We could, if we wished, decide to pass a resolution in the general
assembly that recognised that Mary Queen of Scots was the legitimate
heir to the French crown, and therefore, as her son James Stewart was
her legitimate heir, and thereafter the British Crown is the rightful
ruler of France, that Britain should have two seats on the Security
Council, representing both Britain and France.... it is no less
ludicrous than that ridiculous resolution that kicked Taiwan out of the
SC and the UN.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development