[extropy-chat] urban sprawl as defense

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Sun Aug 29 13:25:28 UTC 2004

I haven't been following this thread closely, but the idea is not a new
one.  Dispersal -- I believe it was called "tactical employment" -- in
nuclear war was, IIRC, a defensive doctrine of the US military during
the Cold War.  Also, the Soviets did a lot of their city planning in
order to create sprawl as a defense against nuclear attacks.

(Jim Stumm also mentioned it as a defense against terrorism around the
time of the first WTC attack.)

On a related note, the "superstealth" strategy proposed by Dennis May
and I (see my site) involves settling space and using high mobility,
stealth, and dispersal as a defense.  Of course, I believe this will be
the unplanned outcome (in a sort of Hayekian fashion) of settling space.

Later!

Dan
http://uweb.superlink.net/neptune/MyWorksBySubject.html