[extropy-chat] New article against transhumanism

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 05:55:11 UTC 2004

The author of this article thanks God that the proposed Illinois
legislation on stem cell research was defeated (by one vote) and
attacks transhumanism. At least he is honest enough to acknowledge
that "Like most issues, this one seems to break along
liberal/conservative lines, but it really shouldn't. This should break
along lines of faith."
More: "The goal of immortality is no longer the domain of Vincent
Price mad scientist characters in movies. Transhumanism--the belief
that human beings, with the proper technology, have the ability to
transcend age, disease, this planet and, ultimately, death--is a
real-life growing worldview.
The leading transhumanist website lists, among its core values, this
statement: "Transhumanism advocates the well-being of all sentience
(whether in artificial intellects, humans, posthumans, or non-human
animals) and encompasses many principles of modern humanism."
Translated to English, this is the belief that human beings are simply
one of the animals of the universe and, apparently, simply part of an
intellectual continuum that includes artificial intelligence.
I could find no reference to, or acknowledgement of, any form of
supreme being, let alone the God of the Bible, in any of the
transhuman or posthuman material I've researched."
http://www.illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=21250