[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Dec 2 14:06:04 UTC 2004

Emlyn wrote:

>The simulation argument is quite flimsy. First of all, it's quite
>possible that it is extremely difficult or impossible to reach the
>level of technology to make a simulation of equivalent complexity to
>the universe you are in. If you can't do that, you are doomed to see
>nested sims degrading in complexity until they are useless, and the
>simulation argument relies on arbitrarily deep levels of nesting.

No it doesn't. One level running as multiple instances on many machines
is quite enough.
Also, the complexity only arises if the entire universe is being
simulated as subnuclear level.
A Matrix style simulation is almost trivial.

>Secondly, you have to assume that civilisations would find some reason
>to let universes run indefinitely. Remember that this argument say not

Indefinately? I think not.
The simulation will stop when the desired outcome is achieved, or time
runs out for the prog.

>only that we are basically assured of being in a sim, but that
>(because of the reliance on arbitrary depth of nesting) we must be
>arbitrarily deeply nested. So we rely on some probably very large
>number of enclosing universes not being shut down by the levels above.

I think that if only a few tens of millions of instances of the prog
were running it is still overwhelmingly likely we are in a sim. Just not
infinitely likely.

>Thirdly, if you buy all of this, who is in the base level universes?

Our 'real' society? The people in the final millisecond of the Big Crunch?

>Finally, the simulation argument assumes things about the nature of
>reality which are not really supportable. What can exist as a
>universe? Just us? Just universes like us? Or can wildly different
>universes exist? Does everything that you can imagine exist somewhere
>in some fashion, plus a lot of stuff that you can't? In fact, what
>does it even mean to exist at all? If every logically possible
>universe exists in some fashion (where "logic" is taken to mean all
>possible systems of logic, and "possible" stands for something a human
>probably can't define), and there's no reason to suppose that they
>don't, then the set of simulated universes are a negligible subset of
>this infinite (aleph-infinity?) set of realities, thus the simulation
>argument cannot hold.

We cannot answer that Q until we have a very plausible TOE.

>Once we start talking about other universes or realities or types of
>existence, we find very quickly that we are not in Kansas any more,
>Dorothy.

Maybe its run on a QC across 'Many Worlds' and whenthe answer pops up
they all collapse to the 'answer'.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-