[extropy-chat] The Simulation Argument (was: Atheists launch inquisition...)

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:20:34 UTC 2004

But I don't emotionally dislike the conclusion that we live in a sim.
Actually, I emotionally LOVE it! When I was reading Nick's paper the
first time I was very excited and happy.
But while I have little doubts that we will become posthumans (if we
manage not to kill ourselves before), and that posthumans will have
the means to run sims, I think we have no info on the computational
cost of running a sim wrt their total computational resources, and no
info on their actual interest in running a sim. An experiment, of
course yes, but massive sims that include billions of conscious
beings? I don't know.
The SA is not religion of course but includes all elements found in
religion. You have an all powerful being who can answer your prayers
if she wants to, and wake you up in Heaven after death (she extracts
you from the most recent backup and injects you in a better sim).
G.