[extropy-chat] Atheism, logic, and metalogic

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 14:23:16 UTC 2004

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
> > Dan Clemmensen wrote:
> >
> >> I am living in a simulation, or not. Since the hypothesis that I
> am
> >> living in a
> >> simulation is not falsifiable, it is meaningless. Therefore, I
> must
> >> apply the next
> >> principle: Occam's razor. It is simpler to assume that I am not
> >> living in a simulation.
> >>
> > I apply Occam's Razor and deduce the opposite.
>
> A simulation implies the existence of an entire simulation
> infrastructure. How is this "simpler"
> (in Ocams's sense) than the non0existence of a simulation?
> In classical terms, when you assume
> a simulation you must assume the existence of the entire
> infrastructure (unknowable to you) that
> supports the simulation. You are postulating the existence of an
> entire new plane of existence
> which is at least as complex as the plane we (the inhabitants of the
> simulation) perceive. By definition,
> the rules governing th covering plane are at least as complex as
> those on our plane, so you are violating Occam's razor.

Now you are turning Occam's Razor into a circular argument like any
good theist would be capable of.

Physics is pretty clear that M-theory states that any given universe
can be created either out of singularities in other universes, or out
of some higher-level ten dimensional universe. The turtles are already
on the table, according to physics. The only real question that the SA
asks is how deeply the turtles are stacked.

> Please describe an observable phenomenon that is more easily
> explained by the existance of a God
> than by the operation of a universe that does not include a god,
> however defined. Note that you will
> need to define your God in the context of the enclosing universe.

Note those who say that there is no simulation operator are playing the
Wizard of Oz game, demanding not only that there is Great and Powerful
Wizard, but that there is also not a guy behind the curtain OR that
there even is a curtain. M-theory and string theory already says that
the curtain is there and it is wiggling. Who or what is behind it all
is merely denied existence by atheists.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)