[extropy-chat] The Simulation Argument (was: Atheists launch inquisition...)

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Dec 5 03:51:45 UTC 2004

The Simulation Argument has such obvious flaws, that I can't imagine
why people are still arguing about it....
But here I go anyway....   :-)

1.  The Simulation Arguments makes a huge assumption without any basis:
  That the "probability" of being born into a simulation is the same as
the "probability" of being born into a real universe.  I am not sure
that this statement even makes any sense.  Even if it does make sense,
I am not sure why simulations should be given equal weight to real
universes that have much larger volume, much longer time-spans, very
long head-starts, and have more resources than the simulations
contained within them.  It seems more likely that non-simulated
universes should have much more weight in comparison.  It may even be
plausible that non-simulated universes have more weight than all the
simulations contained within them combined.  On the basis of space,
time, precedence, hierarchy and other comparisons, it seems that real
universes always win.  I can't think of any reason to give simulations
equal or greater weight.

2. The Simulation Argument proponents seem to prefer possibility #3
without evidence.  There is no reason to assume possibility #3 is
likely. Why would anybody run a significant number of simulations of
their history?  By the time they have enough information to make
accurate simulations, they wouldn't need to run simulations.  They
would already know how things would turn out.  It wouldn't be very
useful for research or discovery.  For entertainment, it would be even
less likely.  We fantasize about being in a future simulation to escape
our boring present world in favor of the better future world.  For such
simulations to exist, we must imagine that the future humans have the
exact opposite desires.  They would be trying to access our primitive
and boring universes instead of their own more advanced universes.
Even if this were sometime desirable, I doubt such situations would
outnumber futuristic simulations or outnumber real-life endeavors.

3. The Simulation Argument proponents seem to dislike possibility #2
without evidence.  There are many plausible scenarios where such
simulations are not common.  Maybe advanced humans are more interested
in reality than simulations.  Maybe advanced humans decide that it is
unethical to create life-forms in a simulation and not let them out
into the real world.  Maybe most simulated civilizations find a way to
escape or crash their universes, such that they don't exist in large
numbers or for very long.  Maybe there is no point to simulating entire
universes and simulating smaller games, small situations, or temporary
settings are more common.  Maybe simulations never last long compared
to real universes, and thus, the number of them is limited or
distributed over time such that they never outnumber real universes.
Maybe future humans figure out time travel or observe the past directly
so that simulating isn't required.  Maybe future humans observe
parallel universes via Many Worlds quantum physics and have more
universes than they could ever explore and don't need to make
additional boring ones.

4.  The logic is faulty.  Similar arguments can be made for other such
claims.  For example, there are more dreams than real lives on this
planet, since every human dreams many dreams per day, therefore we are
almost certainly living in a dream.  There are more aliens on other
planets than there are earthlings on this planet, therefore we are
almost certainly  extraterrestrial aliens who merely believe we are
earthlings.  There are more ex-workers from my company than current
employees, therefore we are almost certainly already fired and just
don't know it yet.  The Simulation Argument seems very similar to the
Doomsday Argument.  It assigns faulty statistics about things we cannot
measure or predict, and then makes predictions based on our faulty
assumptions.  It is simply circular logic that makes assumptions to
support the conclusion and then concludes what was already assumed.  It
is not an example of the scientific method, Occam's Razor, logic, or
other form of evidence.  It is an example of persuasive rhetoric that
proves nothing.  Just because our current circumstances seem unlikely
does not mean that we must reject the obvious reality around us in
favor of an unseen reality that cannot be detected, tested or proven.

So, in summary, I think that the obvious solution to the Simulation
Argument is possibility #2: "any posthuman civilization is extremely
unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their
evolutionary history (or variations thereof)."  I think realistic
simulations of history will be limited to specific events of interest,
and that the sum total of all such simulations in a universe will not
even come close to simulating an infinitesimally small fraction of the
complete universe itself.  I also think that any attempt to weight
probabilistic chances of being born into one of these simulations is
extremely speculatory at best and meaningless at worst.  I think the
usage of terminology such as "conclusions" or "likelihoods" or "almost
certainly" with respect to this "argument" are simply inaccurate and
misleading.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC