[extropy-chat] The emergence of AI

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Sun Dec 5 03:54:52 UTC 2004

At 05:26 PM 12/4/2004, Damien Broderick wrote:
>At 03:15 PM 12/4/2004 -0500, Robin wrote to Eliezer:
>< Wouldn't it be worth it to take the time to convince at least one or two
>people who are recognized established experts in the fields in which you
>claim to have new insight, so they could integrate you into the large
>intellectual conversation? >
>
>I agree in general with Robin's comments, but offer this as a possible
>counter-balance--a furious and frustrated essay by Physics Nobelist Brian
>Josephson, concerning the institutional barriers to communicating
>unorthodox ideas:
>http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/archivefreedom/main.html

Oh there are enormous barriers, I agree.  Making it all the more important
to learn how best to overcome them.  Virtually every intellectual
adventure/hero story pits the heroic new idea against conservative
resistance.  Many of those stories are self-serving nonsense, but others
tell valuable lessons.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323