[extropy-chat] The Inevitability of Universal Immortality in a Finite Universe

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 6 04:56:01 UTC 2004

I challenge the assumptions made here:

1. I am often told by those reluctant to consider cryonics that Life
Extension will work, especially if one is young, due to the bootstrapping
effect - each year of more life brings more options, etc unto an extremely
long life. What is missed here (just one of several things) is that
biological systems are very complex, and each level of intervention will,
yes, provide more life, but the next level will be much more complex.
Melatonin is simple, Telemeronase is complex, and the Human Genome
seriously complex.

My favorite analogy is used cars. I am a cheapskate and buy cars about 10
years old. They generally run for 5 - 7 years and then the mechanic tells
me the repair costs more than the auto is worth. So on to the next one. The
promise of nanotechnology suggests two things: A) Constructing an object
the size of a human body uses some 5 x 10^28 atoms, so if the first
assembler can do one atom per second, and a BIG presumption, that Moore's
Law will still apply, at 10^2 per decade improvement gets a value of 14.5
decades. But that is fabricating a human body in 1 second! If we allow a
couple of weeks, 10^6 seconds, 3 decades go away, and now the estimate is
11.5 decades.

Now, Moore's Law has been a pretty good predictor of my personal PC, whose
cost has been constant in the $800 range, from the Commodore PET (8K RAM, 8
bits, .5mhz 20K Tape storage) to the by now obsolete Pentium I use, (2 gb
RAM, 32 bits, 2ghz, 240 gb Hd storage). So, if the cost of the first
nanobuilt body is $800 million dollars, guess what - 3 more decades (back
to 14.5) and the cost is the same as my PC.

The point here is that there will be a time when total body replacement is
a cheaper option than continuing life extension. It reminds me of the
cherry condition Edsel I saw parked in the street next to my house about 20
years ago. The maintenance cost of that machine must be at least 100x per
mile driven than that of a 10 year old used car.

2. Now uploading (or inloading, replacing the brain with computronium) is a
whole other matter. In NanoSystems, Drexler using a mechanocomputing model
estimates that less than 1ml is needed to create a human equivalent
computer. More fun with numbers: 200 billion neurons, average 2K synapses
per neuron is 10^11 x 10^3 x 4 = 4 x 10^14 synapses. If we allow a
nanobuilt "synapse" to use a cube of .1 micron on a side (and that is
generous, even allowing for the connections), now, .001 cubic micron per
synaptic equivalent, the volume comes to 4 x 10^14 x 10^-3 x 10^-18 = 4 x
10^-7 M^3 or 0.4 milliliters.

A 50 Kg body is 5 x 10^1 x 10^3  = 5 x 10^4 milliliters, so the ratio
becomes 5/0.4 x 10^4 = 1.25 x 10^5, so to build a nanoequivalent brain
takes less nano resources, if we again apply Moore's law, now we come to
14.5 - 2.5 or 12 decades, and if it still takes 2 weeks, now the number
becomes 9 decades. If the cost of such a device is $1 Million, or about
1000x that of my PC, well, ok, 10.5 decades.

Please note that the real money improvement in personal income is around
100x per century, so a century from now the real cost is about the value of
$10,000 is today. This is clearly not very expensive.

And to top it off, even a mechanocomputer will run some 100x faster than a
biological brain, so an upload will experience a 100x time expansion factor
as well.

3. Our attitudes about life are a combination of genetics, culture and
early family experience, all of which are currently not editable. I rather
think that a "Life is wonderful and a true joy" mementic installation will
prove very popular, ergo those selecting super long life will approach 100%.

-------------------------

Of course this is lots of smoke and a nontrivial number of mirrors, and
getting better values is intractable at best, but this is why I think the
numbers and methods mentioned in this thread are nearly pointless.

>Mark Walker wrote:
>
>>Suppose a world's population is fixed at 10 billion inhabitants and only 10%
>>of these (autonomously) choose to pursue superlongevity (to tens of
>>thousands of years or more).

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =