[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 19:16:24 UTC 2004

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I have to ask at once: what does
> an honest and rational man do when he has a UFO abduction experience,
> complete with rectal probing? (Let us suppose that Whitley Strieber
> can be believed when he makes this claim, that he has not simply
> concocted it.) What does an honest and rational man do when he has
> a psychic experience, complete with spoon bending? (Let us suppose
> that Michael Crichton can be believed when he makes this claim.)
> What does an honest and rational man do when he defends claims of
> fairies dancing in the garden, complete with photographs, as Conan
> Doyle did? One could go on almost indefinitely. Many of these
> kinds of experiences seem to have been overwhelming, apodictically
> persuasive, even life-changing, and utterly at odds with each other,
> piling L. Ron Hubbard atop Phil Dick atop Madam Blavatsky atop
> charismatic faith healers atop witnesses of N-rays atop...

Well, as a person who has had one, count-em, one experience in his life
he can clearly categorize as 'supernatural', at which time he was not
under the influence of any alcohol, caffiene, or other drug, was
clearly awake, and simply cannot come up with any possible rational or
scientific explaination for it, I am forced by logic, by Sherlock
Holmes' admonishment that, when all else is ruled out, that which
remains is the truth, and by my own sense of sanity, to conclude that
the atheist excuse that anything that cannot be explained by science
doesn't exist is a very narrow minded conclusion. Just because
something cannot be currently explained by science, does not occur
frequently enough or predictably enough for science to observe, or does
not present enough information about it to be falsifiable, does not
mean that it does not exist or did not happen, or that it will never be
explained by science.

The list of things that science has not been able to sufficiently
explain is very long. The human mind is at the top of that list. That
does not mean that the human mind does not exist. Ergo, the atheist
argument of scientific falsifiability falls on its face.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)