[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Dec 9 19:54:22 UTC 2004

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:

>I agree with Eliezer that if something exists in our universe, sooner or
>later it shall be explained, and tamed, by science. Including supernatural
>experience of course. But perhaps the explanation, when one is found, can be
>much stranger that whatever we are able to understand or even imagine at our
>current stage of evolution. Let's not forget Clarke's Third Law. This
>stranger-than-you-can-imagine realities can accommodate what we call
>supernatural today.
>G.

Maybe we have frogs brains ie we are constrained by inbuilt limitations
that we cannot overcome no matter how much additional intellect we throw
at it because we lack faculty X - and cannot even concieve of the
possibility that it exists because we don't have faculty X etc

OTOH, maybe the universe is not ultimately understandable. Mathematics
certainly isn't, as Chaitin, Godel, Turing et al have shown.
Perhaps it's non computable, or turtles all the way down and psi etc
occasionally bubbles from the depths...

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-