[extropy-chat] In memory of my mother, 1929-2001

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:22:51 UTC 2004

Tomorrow December 11 it will be 3 years since the death of my mother.
A few days later I wrote the message quoted below to the extropy list.
I had been lurking on the lists and occasionally posting for some time
before, but it was then when I decided to try supporting more actively
the subversive and beautiful idea that someday we can DEFEAT DEATH.
To all those here who are grieving for the death of a loved one, I
wish to say that I still believe, as most of us do, that someday aging
and death will only be ugly things of the past.
I never believed in a utopia where unhappiness is completely
eliminated. I am sure even in a posthuman world there will be reasons
to be unhappy, but not permanently unhappy and not including knowing
that you will never see again someone you loved.
G.

---
My mother Anna F. died a few days ago after a long illness. For the
first time, I have seen a loved one dying. I had seen her aging in the
last few years, perhaps that was even worse.
Aging and death are not necessary, they are just a horrible, stupid,
cruel and pointless waste.
Yes, death has been a tool of evolution, and we owe it the development
of our mind. But I believe our mind itself can now offer evolution a
much better tool. By mastering the sciences ad technologies of life
and information, we will take full control of our development and make
aging and death ugly things of the past. In memory of Anna, I will do
my best to help achieving this goal.
I only hope it is soon.
http://forum.javien.com/XMLmessage.php?id=id::EnwiQD5P-SBJn-eEJM-JGVA-Klc8URp6FVxS