[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sun Dec 12 03:17:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote:
> >
> > The list of things that science has not been able to sufficiently
> > explain is very long.
>
> And keeps getting shorter.

Is it ?   My impression has always been that the more we
discover, the more new questions we get to ask.

Almost like a fractal being iteratively drawn, filling up
the screen bit by bit (understanding more of the total),
but the edge growing infinitely long (unanswered questions).

> The blank areas of our map are not faithful representations of blank
> territories.  Mystery exists to be conquered, to be transformed into
> non-mystery.  This task is not accomplished by those who, meeting the
> great dragon Unknown, sheathe their blades and bow their heads in
> delicious submission.

I enjoy mysteries.  Especially the half-dozen new mysteries
that invariably spring up once the mystery that's in front
has been tackled.

cheers,

Rik