[extropy-chat] John Wright Finds God

john-c-wright at sff.net john-c-wright at sff.net
Mon Dec 13 19:18:02 UTC 2004

Dirk Bruere Writes:

>The difference [between Christianity and the Viking religion] is that while we
argue over whether Odin was an historical shamanic figure or not, we have never
burned people at the stake for claiming it was all metaphor and not historical
reality. By its fruits you will know it.

The Vikings also raided, raped and looted and burnt: Christian men do evil
because we are men, not because we are Christian. The difference is that some
Christians do actually turn the other cheek and pray for our enemies. There is
nothing in the Havamal which requires you to do any such thing.

>I did knock, and have been answered, but not by anything dressed as an Xian. To
be honest, I rather desise [sic despise?] the Xian legacy and I feel that JC
would too if he were alive today (a joke, of sorts).

Joke or not, I agree wholeheartedly that my Lord would take up a lash and drive
the money-changers out of the temple. He has no patience for those who have
brought such disgrace upon His house, Pharisees and hypocrites.

Hatred for Christians and their bloody history is not unknown to me. When I was
a militant atheist, I felt it every day.

>His warning and test were clear - by its fruits you will know it.

My Lord also said that the branch that does not bear fruit would be thrown on
the fire: a warning that those who have betrayed and demeaned His message would
do well to heed.

It is possible that certain Christians have tried to do good in the world that
has merely not recommended itself to your attention. Saint Francis of Assisi and
 Mother Teresa are not less representative of Christianity as Torquemada
Cardinal Richelieu. I am sure the Red Cross and the Christian Children’s Fund
have done charitable works you might find praiseworthy.

All I can do in my own life it try to make my own little vine come to fruition.