[extropy-chat] RE: freezing frogs & brain freeze helmet & Rip VanWinkle Pets

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Dec 14 09:27:39 UTC 2004

I see, it's that time of the year again, where hare-brained schemes of armchair
cryonicists roam freely, unfettered by any practical knowledge...

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:39:53PM -0800, Hara Ra wrote:

> I have the original article, appeared in OMNI magazine. Without circulatory
> access, there is no way to cool the brain rapidly enough. Conduction
> through the skull is not nearly fast enough. A major limitation is that if
> you use a really cold gas, you freeze the outer flesh. I'd have to look it
> up, but I believe there were fluids introduced through the carotids and
> jugulars. Cannulation of these is incredibly difficult, so such a device
> needs a skilled operator. If it were available and worked, we would surely

It needs a skilled surgeon, in fact. You have to find them, to prep them
open, to ligate them, introduce the cannula, flush out the bubbles and then
untie. And of course the perfusion solution is microfiltered and degassed,
made freshly or unexpired, when stored under proper condition, the perfusion
apparatus has fresh tubings, etc. It's a long list.

Those who still entertain the amusing notion they can improvise this with no
training... go straight to the next slaughterhouse, and practice on a freshly
killed hog, while accompanied by a medical professional who's going to point
out how many times you have killed the poor porcine patient.