[extropy-chat] RE: freezing frogs & brain freeze helmet &Rip VanWinkle Pets

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Dec 14 09:42:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:09:42PM -0600, Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. wrote:

> The way around that is to add something like a sleeping bag and simulate

There's no way to cool down a patient, core temperature included, using a gas
as heat exchanger in required time frame, period. Adding a sleeping bag makes
the problem worse (~2 day descent for inner core, you're mush -- look up
those CI threads on Cryonet).

What is wrong with a thumper and a portable ice bath?

> what happens when someone falls into near freezing water and thrashes

Water is a liquid, you will observe.

> around causing hypothermia before drowing.    I had a prospectus  a year

When you're drowning in ice cold water, you still have circulation. Your periphery shuts down
first, and your core temperature can come down as low as ~25 C before you're
out cold due to fibrillation.

This works best with small children, which can be reanimated up to 45 min
(I don't claim this is the longest time). Small children = good
volume/surface ratio, low body fat index, and good shape in general, as well
as excellent regeneration (there might be additional protection mechanisms at play).

> back from a company that had developed a "self cooling" pop can which
> had an insert which once the can was opened would spontaneously remove
> heat from the contents. They had spent 7 million to date and wanted to
> raise money for marketing.

Good for cooling beer, sure. Good to cool patients, no.