[extropy-chat] A Strombolian Holiday Tree

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Dec 14 14:59:25 UTC 2004

<mbb386 at main.nc.us>, Sun, 12 Dec 2004:

>This is very beautiful, Amara! Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.

>I'm glad you're
>getting to go on all these volcano excursions, they must be
>fascinating.

It's another world. Work is so stressful right now (we deliver
our instrument to NASA in four months), that I need something like
this. FYI, From where I am in Rome,

It's not expensive or difficult to go to Stromboli. A long weekend in
the summer is all the time you need. In the winter you need a bit
of luck because the hydrofoils don't run when the sea is rough
and the overnight ship runs just twice per week.  You can hike
up to the third-way point on your own. Above that point is off limits
(they say... :-))

For Etna, you just need to go to Sicily, and a bus runs every hour
to the Etna part-way point where one can find accommodations (small hotels).
You'll need a guide to the top of Etna, but there are many guides.

>And perhaps terrifying.

Usually not, but a couple of times I was very stupid and too
close and in a very dangerous position. I won't do that again.

>I've followed the links from your
>page and looked at the many pictures from Stromboli Online - what an
>amazing thing to see!

(http://stromboli.net)

It's a very good educational site, probably the best in the world
for volcanoes. You've probably seen the volcano photos, so here
are some enhancements:

Photos and Quicktime movies  (Etna)
http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/etna/etna04/etna0410-en.html

Panoramas (Etna)
http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/etna/etnaqtvr/index-en.html

Virtual walks up Stromboli
http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/virtual/index-en.html

Astrophotos from Stromboli
http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/photoastro/comet_q4-en.html

For example: This zodiacal light / comet Hale-Bopp / Pleiades / Mercury photo
http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/photoastro/comets/icons/habo07.jpg
has become the 'canonical' interplanetary dust image -- shown as
backdrops on dust astronomers' conference slides and so forth. I used
this photo  for the first page image in my Sky and Telescope
article (2000) about interplanetary dust. In addition this image
is the cover image for the _Interplanetary Dust_ book, published
by Springer Verlag 2001.

Bomb flight Simulation
http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/simulation/index-en.html

Erta Ale animation
http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/perm/erta/movies-en.html

enjoy...
Amara

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/