[extropy-chat] SPAM: The China Flu

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 16:27:28 UTC 2004

| China and its Relation With Spam                                   |
|   from the but-i-don't-like-spam dept.                             |
|   posted by CmdrTaco on Monday December 13, @13:27 (Spam)          |
|   http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/13/1758203           |

smooth wombat writes "[0]Asia Times has a nice article about why China
is becoming the [1]spam capital of the world. Steve Linford, of
Spamhaus fame, is quoted several times in the article and offers some
insight into how the Chinese ISPs operate. Steves quote at the end of
the article pretty much sums up why China isn't doing anything to curb
the hosting of spam website servers in the country: "They simply don't
want to know - China Telecom doesn't care because they're
government-owned and there is no pressure coming from the government.
Meanwhile, our statistics on spam volumes and the number of spammers
setting up in China are going up and up and up.""

Discuss this story at:
    http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=04/12/13/1758203

Links:
    0. http://www.atimes.com/
    1. http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/FL14Ad02.html

-end quote-

Is there any better demonstration of why nationalized ANYTHING is a bad
idea? Looks to be like China will become the Love Canal of spam, at
least until some bureaucrat gets annoyed because his secretaries are
spending too much time filtering his spam and not enough polishing his
knob, and decides to round up all the spammers and send them off to the
organ farms... hmmm maybe nationalizing spam isn't such a bad idea....
;)

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)