[extropy-chat] Re: freezing frogs

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 16:31:21 UTC 2004

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> stencil wrote:
> > Can you throw them over your shoulder
> > Like a Continental soldier?...
>
> I have been puzzled by those song lyrics since I
> first heard them as a young child.  If I had a
> continental soldier, why would I wish to throw
> him over my shoulder?  What has he done to deserve
> such treatment?  Does it matter which continent
> he is from?

Is this referring to the fact that American Revolutionary soldiers were
so poorly supplied with footwear that their primary cause of casualty
was foot injuries/frostbite?

Or is it referring to the lack of value of the continental dollar (as
in "not worth a Continental" that chucking one over your shoulder after
having used it to wipe one's backside or light one's pipe is a rather
casual affair?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)