[extropy-chat] Re: Re: John Wright Finds God

john-c-wright at sff.net john-c-wright at sff.net
Wed Dec 15 15:11:28 UTC 2004

With no trace of irony, Mme. Yudkowsky writes
>Samantha, you are an inspiration to rationalists.

The argument that, since there are by definition no supernatural events, ergo
all reports of supernatural events must be false, is circular. Real skeptics do
not take conclusions as articles of faith.

"You don't believe in me," observed the Ghost.

"I don't." said Scrooge.

"What evidence would you have of my reality beyond that of your senses?"

"I don't know," said Scrooge.

"Why do you doubt your senses?"

"Because," said Scrooge, "a little thing affects them. A slight disorder of the
stomach makes them cheats. You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of
mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There's more of
gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!"