[extropy-chat] John Wright Finds God

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Dec 15 18:54:12 UTC 2004

<john-c-wright at sff.net> Wrote:

>My question to my respected fellow atheists (if I may so call you, for I
>have only departed your company recently) is this: what does an honest
> and rational man do when he has a supernatural experience?

I have never had a supernatural experience but if I ever have that
misfortune I intend to keep it to myself because yammering about it to
others is pointless. It is one thing to have a mystical experience, it is
quite another to listen so somebody else talk about theirs. Perhaps you
really did discover an unexplored world and a new path for knowledge, or
perhaps you are just the victim of a bad bit of beef and bad digestion, I
have absolutely no way of knowing. Even you can't be certain if you had a
real experience or a neurological accident, but at least you can make an
educated guess, I can't even do that.

I do have one question for you, people have been claiming supernatural
experiences for thousands of years but not one has ever been verified; If
it's
real why do you suppose this is the one area of knowledge that is not
amenable to the scientific method?

John K Clark     jonkc at att.net