[extropy-chat] John Wright Finds God

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 19:27:44 UTC 2004

For the same reason that many of our subjective experiences can't be
verified, yet.   See, wasn't that really easy?

As a matter of fact some research is being done and has been done as
we get better tech for mapping what is going on in the brain.  One
study wired up monks, Tibetan Buddhists iirc,  and monitored what
changed when they went into reportedly higher levels of consciousness.
  I don't have the reference handy but it said some interesting things
about what the attendant physical changes, causative or not, are for
some states of consciousness.   Using such things it would not be too
difficult to actually show that a person had acheived a particular
state.  That is it would not be if either you had them wired up at the
time or reported long term changes were present in their brains.

Also, particularly in Eastern religions, there is a rather developed
body of knowledge on states of consciousness and distinquishing such
states by non-physical examination of experential evidence.

- samantha