[extropy-chat] BBC "If..." on cloning, violence and drug legalisation

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 10:34:16 UTC 2004

Solutions to problems which have been with us for decades - or are
unique to the new millennium. Sometimes the pace of change can be
mind-boggling. To keep up we have to respond quickly.
The second series of IF begins on Thursday, 16 December, 2004, on BBC
Two. This second series of IF aims to involve you in the options that
lie ahead for you, and for your children. The future, of course, is
not here. So IF tries to bring that to life through drama. We imagine
how the world might be in 10 or 15 years' time. But before we can
begin we need information and opinion. We spend weeks reading, talking
to experts and compiling briefing documents before we tackle the
drama.
The first film If... Cloning Could Cure Us explores the potential of
cloning and stem cell therapy. To give this courtroom drama real
substance and moral complexity, we approached our research on several
fronts: scientific, ethical, legal and political.
The second film, If... We Could Stop The Violence, might seem like
wishful thinking. But it reflects the views of cutting edge scientists
who believe that the propensity for violent crime is genetic.
The third film If... Drugs Were Legal examines the existing problems
with drug prohibition and hears the arguments in favour of
legalisation.
Feedback from viewers and interested citizens is encouraged: in
Embryonic stem cell therapy: have your say, you can post your opinion
on "Does this type of research and potential treatment herald a
medical revolution, which will save countless lives? Or is it just one
step too far in an ethical minefield?". Thoughts and opinions on the
issues raised by the programme will be published on the BBC site.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/if/default.stm