[extropy-chat] Re: Damien grants psi evidence

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Dec 18 17:23:06 UTC 2004

At 07:18 PM 12/18/2004 +1100, Brett wrote:

>Because the 'just show the RVer the options' protocol would be easier
>in practice to implement than a protocol involving judges, this suggests
>that judges protocol is being used because the 'just show the RVer the
>options' protocol has already been tried and found to be unsatisfactory
>to the researchers.
>
>There would have needed to have been a motivating reason to add
>complexity (and therefore cost) to the simplest most obvious protocol
>that could work.

As I said at some point, the margins of this email are too small. Here are
two additional motives for using judges during the STAR GATE and research
programs:

If you ask for a remote view of one target out of 4 or 5, and then show the
percipient a picture or multimedia display of the chosen option, or take
him to the place to walk through up close, you can't also display the other
non-chosen options without risking muddying the waters.

But the key motive is probably that these protocols were developed for
military intelligence, where the RVer was trying to gather information
paranormally about some place or person he would never see in reality,
possibly never get *any* feedback on. In that case, judges would probably
be intelligence operatives who had provided the mission target or who
perhaps possessed only some indistinct satellite pictures, etc. Does any of
this work? Well, these programs were funded on an annual basis for more
than a decade.

Actually I'm less interested in remote viewing and Ganzfeld protocols than
in much simpler experiments such as Suitbert Ertel's current trials where
Ss draw numbered balls from a bag (with replacement) after guessing the
numbers. Using pre-screened `star' Ss, Ertel claims a robust success rate
averaging 70% where 50% +/- is expected by chance. Simple, elegant, totally
pointless except as evidence of psi. Strangely enough, the obvious
fallibilities of this test have also occurred to Ertel, who has set up
procedures to obviate them.

On a personal note: am I driven by an obsessive wish to believe, to find
evidence for some magic in the world? Maybe, but I don't think so. I also
think it'd be great if cold fusion were true, and it seems that some
continuing work there is also worth noting, but I couldn't really care one
way or the other. If marginal psi effects are real, they could indicate
something interesting about consciousness, or whether we're in a tweakable
simulation, or about time-reversal and entanglement in QT. In the short
term, reliable technologies based on them would make somebody very rich;
that was my main motivation in studying the Lotto data.

Damien Broderick