[extropy-chat] Bayes, crackpots and psi

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Dec 20 05:37:20 UTC 2004

At 12:30 PM 12/18/2004 -0500, John Clark wrote:

>And on the basis of this Mickey Mouse study Utts says ESP is as well
>established as the law of conservation of momentum so further proof is
>unnecessary. Crackpot!

For an interesting insight in what's going on here (both from me, and from
adamant skeptics like John and Eliezer), take a look at these extracts from
`Opposites detract', by Robert Matthews, visiting reader in science at
Aston University, Birmingham, UK, in New Scientist vol 181 issue 2438 - 13
March 2004, page 38:
======================
[...]
For years, well-designed studies carried out by researchers at respected
institutions have produced evidence for the reality of ESP. The results
are often more impressive than the outcome of clinical drug trials
because they show a more pronounced effect and have greater statistical
significance. What's more, ESP experiments have been replicated and
their results are as consistent as many medical trials - and even more
so in some cases (see Chart). In short, by all the normal rules for
assessing scientific evidence, the case for ESP has been made. And yet
most scientists still refuse to believe the findings, maintaining that
ESP simply does not exist.

Despite this relentless rejection of their work, parapsychologists such
as those at the Koestler unit have ploughed on in search of clinching
evidence they hope will convince the scientific community. Some believe
it is a waste of time because the reality of ESP has now been put beyond
reasonable doubt. Sceptics agree it is fruitless, but on the grounds
that since ESP cannot exist, all positive results must be spurious. How
has such a split arisen? After all, scientific evidence is supposed to
drive everyone towards a single view of reality.

Over the years, sociologists and historians have often pointed out the
glaring disparity between how science is supposed to work and what
really happens. While scientists routinely dismiss these qualms as
anecdotal, subjective or plain incomprehensible, the suspicion that
there is something wrong with the scientific process itself is well
founded. The proof comes from a rigorous mathematical analysis of how
evidence alters our belief in a scientific theory. And it is not so easy
to write off.

Its starting point is a profound result derived independently by the
mathematicians Frank Ramsey and Bruno de Finetti in the 1930s. They
showed that you can assign a number to the touchy-feely concept of
belief using ideas drawn from probability theory. In particular, they
proved that your faith in a theory can be quantified objectively on a
scale ranging from near 0 for disbelief to near 1 for certainty. They
also showed that scientific reasoning is logical provided your beliefs
follow a rule known as Bayes's theorem.

Widely used in probability theory, Bayes's theorem shows how the chances
of an event happening change in light of developments, such as the odds
of a horse winning a race given that it won its last one. Ramsey and de
Finetti showed that exactly the same rule applies to updating belief in
a theory as new evidence comes in. The good news is that their rule is
very simple: just take your original level of belief and multiply it by
the strength of the new evidence, as captured by the so-called
likelihood ratio. This gives the relative probabilities of getting such
evidence if the theory is true, compared to if it were false. The
likelihood ratio is large if the findings are consistent with theory,
thereby boosting your level of belief in it.

But there is a nasty surprise lurking in the Ramsey-de Finetti analysis.
How do you arrive at that original level of belief? In many scientific
studies, there is a wealth of insight and evidence on which people can
base their prior level of belief. But in novel or controversial areas of
research, such as the paranormal, there isn't. And in those cases, it
can only be based on gut feeling, instinct and educated guesses. In
other words, it is entirely subjective.

[...]
While this prompts outrage among defenders of the scientific faith, many
working scientists acknowledge that subjectivity plays a big role in
their day-to-day thinking. Behind closed doors they routinely dismiss
claims for, say, some new link between cancer and diet, simply because
they find it implausible.

Nor is such prejudice the preserve of the life sciences. Even
theoretical physicists routinely resort to subjective arguments to see
off awkward results. Hearing that his new theory of special relativity
had lost out to rival theories in its first experimental test, Albert
Einstein simply brushed the evidence aside, arguing that the other
theories were less probable.

Whether they realise it or not, scientists' thinking is influenced by
Bayesian reasoning, and nowhere is this more apparent than in attitudes
towards ESP research. By the standards of conventional science, the
weight of evidence is now very impressive, but the scientific community
refuses to accept the reality of ESP. Instead, they insist that
extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

This is the perfect example of Bayesian reasoning. But who decides when
an "extraordinary" level of evidence has been reached? It is something
that can, and clearly does, mean different things to different people.
Ultimately, it is not strength of evidence, or lack of it, that has been
at the heart of the controversy over ESP. Yet the response of sceptics
has been the same: whatever was responsible for the positive findings,
it cannot be ESP. Something else must have happened: some flaw in the
experiment, say, or a slip-up in the data analysis. Perhaps even fraud.

It is a response that provokes understandable resentment among
parapsychologists. They complain that exactly the same approach could be
used to reject unwelcome findings in any other field of science. It is
too easy, they argue, for critics to dream up endless ways to explain
positive ESP findings. Sceptics, meanwhile, insist it is only right to
eliminate every alternative explanation before reaching a final
conclusion.

Bayes's theorem shows that both camps are right. But it also reveals
another disturbing fact: wrangling over alternative explanations can
never be ended objectively. The reason is that every attempt to test a
scientific theory involves a slew of "auxiliary hypotheses" -
assumptions made about the design of experiment, the data analysis, and
even the mindset of the researchers. For instance, medics confronted
with the results of a clinical trial they find implausible routinely
check the researchers' affiliations to see if they have a reasons to
show the results in a particular light. And perhaps this is justified,
given that academic studies funded by industry are more prone to
producing positive findings (New Scientist, 1 February 2003, p 8). If
the medics do suspect that the research findings are skewed, they will
water down their faith in the results no matter how statistically
significant they may be.

[...]
Even so, it is only after all these alternative explanations have been
dismissed that researchers can claim their results have been vindicated.
Once again, the Ramsey-de Finetti analysis provides a mathematical rule
for deciding when it is safe to say that evidence best matches the
theory under test, rather than some auxiliary hypothesis. The bad news
is that the rule demands estimates for the plausibility of competing
explanations, which is again subjective.

The worst suspicions of parapsychologists are thus entirely justified.
It is impossible to find evidence for ESP that will win round the
sceptics. But those who see this as final proof of the futility of
parapsychology should ponder this: exactly the same holds true for all
scientific research. There are always auxiliary hypotheses, and deciding
whether the evidence backs them or the theory being tested is just a
matter of judgement.

The famous criterion of "falsifiability", the notion that scientific
theories can never be proved, only disproved, is therefore a comforting
myth. In reality, scientists can (and do) dream up ways to explain away
awkward findings. The only difference with parapsychology is that
scientists have no qualms about invoking everything from incompetence to
grand conspiracy to explain the results.

It therefore seems that all that parapsychologists can do is collect
ever more evidence, in the hope of gradually persuading more scientists
of the reality of ESP. In this, they are appealing to one of the central
tenets of the scientific process: that as more evidence builds up, the
case for a theory becomes ever stronger. Yet the mathematics of
scientific inference reveals even this to be a myth.

Bayes's theorem shows that belief in a theory increases with the
strength of evidence. Mathematically, this is captured by the likelihood
ratio (LR) - the likelihood of getting such evidence if the theory is
true, compared to if it were false. So, for example, if the evidence is
10 times as likely to emerge if the theory is true rather than false,
the LR is 10, and belief in the theory increases tenfold. If, however,
the evidence is twice as likely to emerge if the theory is false, then
the LR is 0.5, and the level of belief is halved.

All of this is perfectly reasonable - except how do you convert raw data
into the all-important LR? The answer is, there is no hard and fast
rule. It is yet another occasion for judgement, opinion and educated
guesswork. Subjectivity has once more reared its head, and this time it
undermines the most cherished principle of the scientific process: that,
in the end, the accumulation of evidence ensures the truth will come
out.

[...]
The upshot could hardly be more different from the standard view of the
scientific process. Both camps can look at precisely the same raw data
and legitimately reach utterly different conclusions, because they have
radically different models for the cause of the data. One camp insists
that the results are more plausibly caused by of ESP than anything else;
the other camp simply does not agree.

It gets worse. As the evidence accumulates, the two camps will not only
fail to reach consensus but actually be driven further apart - propelled
by their different views about the LR. And worst of all, there is no
prospect of such a consensus unless the two sides can agree about the
cause of the data.

[...]