[extropy-chat] A nickel and dime economy?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 16:30:36 UTC 2004

--- Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Kevin Freels wrote:
>
> >I was wondering if anyone had followed this through
> >to the future. Does anyone here see a possible future
> >where nearly everything is fee based?
>
> There's some Philip Dick novel out there where all doors require
> $0.25 to open. Not really the best place to live :-)

It should be noted that you can make any utopia into a distopia if you
charge too much to live there. One might say that absolute cost of
living in all respects defines the plenum over which utopias and
distopias are the extremes.

$0.25 to use a door is distopic, except for those that appreciate the
riff-raff being kept outside...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)