[extropy-chat] Transhumanism 666: The Mark of the Beast

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Dec 23 09:49:48 UTC 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 12:54 PM, Hara Ra wrote:

> So, IMO, the beginnings of cladic formation. Example: as a cryonicist,
> I live from the pov of an immortalist. This is often subtle, but
> important in how I handle long range decisions. I have to discern if
> another is an immortal or not, it makes a difference in some cases.
> Brutal Example: Mortals are disposable. They die. If you don't get
> along with them, the issues die with them. Immortals, well, memories
> are forever, must handle more carefully.

Here is something for your further consideration.   Every single person
in the world is a potential immortal.   Each person who has not
consciously decided this is possible and desirable is merely not yet
conscious and affirming of their potential.   This does not mean they
are "disposable".    It means that an immortal is about to die real
death needlessly out of ignorance!

Another thought is that it is very unlikely that an immortal would fail
to forgive some email slight you experienced with one another back when
you both were young barely conscious and unaugmented raw as programmed
by brute evolution alone intelligences.   Our perspective needs to
shift.

I think that our morality will shift a great deal when we learn to
think of one another this way.   I believe we will learn a lot of
compassion along the way.

- s