[extropy-chat] root lives

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 24 04:17:04 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John M
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 5:36 PM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Re: Newtonmass?

John M wrote:

I can proudly say I've just finished all 2624 pages of this series, and the
holidays are here just in time; though the first couple'a thousand pages are
entertaining, I really need a break.  Overall, I enjoyed the books, though
there are some things (Enoch Root, for instance) that I wish had been filled
in a bit more...

Root evidently didn't perish on page 541 of Cryptonomicon.
Read that passage over, see how many different ways it can
be interpreted.  The Root business drove me to distraction,
thinking it was a critical error in an otherwise excellent
book.  But I no longer think it was an error, but rather
a bizarre plot device.  Who was the guy who walked out
under the blanket, if not Root's "corpse"?  spike