[extropy-chat] sri lanka tsunami

Erik Starck es at popido.com
Tue Dec 28 16:33:46 UTC 2004

At 17:01 2004-12-28 Mike Lorrey wrote:
>--- Max M <maxm at mail.tele.dk> wrote:
> > What is this about? Do you know for a fact that the french (and the
> > EU) isn't helping?
>
>The EU is a larger economy now than the US, yet has pledged only $4
>million up front to the US' $15 million, and a Norwegian UN official
>had the gall to say that the US was stingy and needed to 'raise taxes'
>to be more generous:

First of all Norway is not a member of the EU.

Second of all, EU is a community of individual countries. The fact that EU
sends $4million does not mean that the countries in Europe sends $4million
together.

Last but not least, I am not attacking or defending anyone here, I just
think it's sad that even in times such as these, arguing over whose the
baddest country for giving the least amount of money becomes even an issue.
Thailand is a popular turist location for scandinavians. There are at least
1500 swedes missing in Thailand. Probably most of them are dead. Lots of
them were children, bathing by the sea when the wave struck.

Needless to say, the nation is in shock. I suppose other countries feel the
same and share the same shock.

The last number I heard was 50000 dead. Most probably that will increase.

--
Erik