[extropy-chat] sri lanka tsunami

Erik Starck es at popido.com
Wed Dec 29 23:44:12 UTC 2004

At 23:38 2004-12-29 Alfio Puglisi wrote:
>For those who didn't like the pissing contest about who gives more money,
>on Wikipedia there's a good overview of the amount of aid given (or
>promised) by each nation:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_response_to_the_2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

Considering that Sweden seems to be one of the countries with the most
tourists in the area:
http://www.turkishpress.com/world/news.asp?id=041229194343.wjtrut0g.xml
...I am embarassed to see that tiny Luxembourg gives more money than
Sweden. Overall, this countrys government has received a lot of criticism
for doing too little. When this is over, I hope some political heads will
roll.

Probably not, though, since this is social democratic Sweden where no one's
to blame and no one ever takes responsibility for anything.

On the other hand, private donations are at a record high, which is good I
suppose.

Some numbers indicate 3-4000 swedes still missing. For a nation of 9
million, that's a lot. I still don't know if anyone I know was down there.

Erik